Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Night Mayhem....and Boxing Day excursion!!!!!!!!

So...apparently here in Guatemala at Xmas,  they like to blow up firecrackers and chase people with a bull (el toro!!!!) which is really a  man with a cage lined with firecrackers that chases you around, while leading the Virgin Mary Procession down the street that passes in front of our hostel!  Some of the firecrackers are just kind of like sparklers sticking out of the costume and burning quietly..and some of them are hurled at the bystanders and burn around in a random flaming direction..that can definitely NOT be determined in advance!

And...of course...there has to be a catch!  People are supposed to go up and kind of head butt the bull...to show their courage. YES....it is true!  I did do it!  No pics to prove it....but I have thousands of witnesses!!!!!  UNICORNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry...only the people that came to last months trip in the DR will know what that means...but it is THE ultimate UNICORRRNNNNNN!!!!!!   Click on Unicorrrnnnnnn!!! to view.  Some parts are blurry due to the lights at night but the important stuff is clear.

So....after an evening of beer and flaming bulls........we had a fairly early night to bed....as we had a ride picking us up at 0600 to head out to Volcano Pacaya for an early morning stroll!  YEAH RIGHT.....within minutes, Karen and I hired horses....and rode our way up the volcano!  this enabled us to get some great pics...while the minions were walking up, sweating and unable to breathe!  It was an hour ride/walk up....and who do you think enjoyed it more????????  yes...you are likely correct if you picked US!

At the top...we had to go for a stroll through the old lava beds..and roast marshmallows in the volcano vents.  Unfortunately since the volcano erupted in april....the open lava flows no longer exist.  SOOOO....no lava photos!  On the way back we did have to do a pretty long, steep climb up a shifting bed of lava rocks.  1 step forward.....half a step back.....IT WAS NOT FUN!  BUT......little miss Karen, got half way up...and her heart stopped, her knee locked up...and we had to call an ambulance!  The ambulance had a long swinging tail....some pointy ears, and 4 long skinny legs!  We like to call him Doctor ED!

Now...I did walk down the volcano..managed not to break anything, get any blisters, blow out another knee...or fall down! So this counts as a very successful outing!  Not often that things go quite so well in the world of Stacey!

Now...I will pass the blog over to Karen for any additions or rebuttals!  Oh yeah...Chuck came too..but he is sleeping right now...no comments from him....but wait until you see his new outfit!  He is now very metroducksual!

Stacey

I agree with Stacey´s comments and want to add additional information on my lameness.  I am admittedly fat and out of shape.  I valiantly thought that I could do the volcano climb, but gravity overtook and it was not to be.  She failed to mention that the ¨horse¨ that I rode on was about 3 million years old and should have been glue already.  To add to the age, they then dumped my enormous ass on it and that slowed it down even more.  We were always a step or two behind.  The saving grace was that Augustus, my trustee handler, kept me amused and informed as much as a non English speaking guide could with a non hablis espangnol fatchick .  I did try to do the descent and did have to walk up to the vent, etc. but found that when we reached the super slippery volcanic rock climb, I just couldn´t make my legs go.  No mas.  So the guide asked me if I wanted a taxi, in fact, she pretty insisted that I take a taxi.  So my trusty handler and his old nag scurried down the slope to rescue me and I rode the rest of the way down.  Other than walking bowlegged for the next couple of days and having a bruised pubic bone, I did survive a volcano ascent and descent.  I am still proud of myself even though I´m a complete schmo and had to take the easy ride out.

Early to bed tonight as we have to head off to Copan, Honduras at 4 a. freakin. m.  Adios amigos!

Santa Paws in Puppy Jail

 Stacey posted bail in her loud Hawaiian shirt (do you love it, Jen and Linda?) Santa Paws very greatful.
Crazy flaming bull.  Stacey headbutted him.
Santa Maria procession.

Karen on her old nag who wanted to make friends with the scythe/axe wielding alleged (at least in our minds) bandito.  We call him Tito Bandito.  Fortunately, Augustus, the nag´s handler fended him off and saved the day.

Notice how the trees are not sporting much greenery?  What´s in those clouds anyways?

Stacey ascending the volcano on her trusty steed, we named Steve.  AKA Canario.

Chuck on Volcan Pacaya sporting his new metroducksual look.  It will soon be the rage among all ducks.

Yes, Facebook fans, she said she´d do it and...she did!  This is the preferred look for the trip.

Yeh, for us!  Top of Volcan Paycaya. In the background, Volcan Feugo erupting, Volcan ? next to it and the closest to the right is Volcan Agua.
Volcan Fuego erupting.  View from Volcan Paycaya... not erupting.

Karen and the little kids riding down the volcano.  Does this mean she can´t sit at the adult table any more?




2 comments:

  1. As if you took the freaking duck. I thought it was as little luggage as possible...he's not the smallest duck lol. Also most people from Mexico and further south seem to have some sort of weapon on them at all times...it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WISH I was with you. Glad you both are safe and sound. AND Don't do anything I wouldn't do...Enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete